It`s a no-brainer that using natural makeup remover is beneficial for both your skin and the environment. Unlike commercial makeup removers that often contain harsh chemicals, natural alternatives are gentle and less likely to cause irritation or allergic reactions. Natural makeup removers are also free from artificial fragrances and dyes, making them suitable for sensitive skin types.
Additionally, they are cost-effective and easy to make at home, allowing you to have control over the ingredients you use on your skin.
Why Use Household Ingredients?
Household ingredients offer a wide range of benefits when it comes to makeup removal. For instance, oils like olive oil or jojoba oil can effectively dissolve stubborn makeup, including waterproof mascara, without stripping the skin of its natural oils.
They also provide hydration, leaving the skin feeling soft and supple. Other household ingredients like witch hazel or aloe vera have soothing and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help calm the skin and reduce redness.
Additionally, using household ingredients for makeup removal is cost-effective and eco-friendly, as it eliminates the need for single-use makeup wipes or commercial makeup removers packaged in plastic bottles.
1. Oil-Based Makeup Removers:
a. Coconut Oil Makeup Remover Recipe
Coconut oil is a versatile ingredient that can be used for various beauty purposes, including as a natural makeup remover.
To create your DIY coconut oil makeup remover, simply:
- Combine equal parts of coconut oil and your preferred carrier oil, such as almond oil or jojoba oil, in a clean container.
- Shake well to mix the oils thoroughly.
To use the homemade coconut oil makeup remover, apply a small amount onto a cotton pad or reusable makeup remover cloth and gently wipe away your makeup, including stubborn waterproof mascara. The natural oils in coconut oil effectively break down the makeup, while the carrier oil helps moisturize and nourish your skin.
b. Olive Oil and Witch Hazel Makeup Remover Recipe
Another DIY natural makeup remover recipe you can try is a combination of olive oil and witch hazel. Olive oil is known for its moisturizing properties, while witch hazel has astringent and soothing qualities.
To make this homemade makeup remover:
- Mix one part olive oil with two parts witch hazel in a clean container.
- Shake well to ensure the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Apply a small amount to a cotton pad or reusable makeup remover cloth and gently wipe away your makeup.
The olive oil effectively dissolves the makeup, while the witch hazel helps to cleanse and tone your skin. This homemade makeup remover is suitable for all skin types and can even help to balance oily skin.
2. Water-Based Makeup Removers
a. Cucumber and Aloe Vera Makeup Remover Recipe
Creating your DIY natural makeup remover is not only cost-effective but also ensures that you know exactly what ingredients are going into your skin. One popular recipe involves using cucumber and aloe vera, which are known for their soothing and hydrating properties.
To make this homemade makeup remover:
- Start by blending half a cucumber until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Then, extract the juice from the cucumber pulp using a strainer or cheesecloth.
- In a separate container, mix equal parts of the cucumber juice and aloe vera gel. Stir well until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
To use this natural makeup remover, simply apply a small amount to a cotton pad and gently wipe away your makeup. The cucumber helps to cool and refresh the skin, while the aloe vera provides moisture and nourishment. This DIY recipe is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin, and can effectively remove even waterproof makeup.
b. Green Tea and Chamomile Makeup Remover Recipe
Another fantastic DIY natural makeup remover recipe involves the use of green tea and chamomile. Green tea is known for its antioxidant properties, while chamomile has soothing effects on the skin.
To create this homemade makeup remover:
- Start by steeping a green tea bag and a chamomile tea bag in a cup of hot water.
- Allow the tea to cool down completely before transferring it to a container.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil to the tea mixture and give it a good shake to combine the ingredients.
To use this natural makeup remover, shake the mixture well and apply a small amount to a cotton pad. Gently wipe away your makeup, focusing on areas with heavier makeup. The combination of green tea and chamomile helps to remove impurities and soothe the skin, leaving it feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
3. Milk-Based Makeup Removers:
a. Milk and Honey Makeup Remover Recipe
Milk and honey are not only delicious ingredients in your kitchen but also effective natural makeup removers. To create your DIY makeup remover using milk and honey, simply:
- Mix equal parts of milk and honey in a small bowl.
- Stir well until they are fully blended.
To use this homemade makeup remover, soak a cotton pad or a washcloth in the mixture and gently wipe it over your face in circular motions. The milk helps to dissolve and remove makeup, while the honey adds hydration and nourishment to your skin.
Not only is this DIY makeup remover gentle on your skin, but it also leaves it feeling soft and moisturized. Plus, it’s free from harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances, making it suitable for those with sensitive skin. Give this milk and honey makeup remover a try for a natural and effective way to remove your makeup.
b. Yogurt and Lemon Juice Makeup Remover Recipe
If you’re looking for a DIY makeup remover that brightens and rejuvenates your skin, try the yogurt and lemon juice recipe. Yogurt contains lactic acid, which gently exfoliates your skin, while lemon juice helps to remove dirt and impurities.
To make this homemade makeup remover:
- Mix equal parts of plain yogurt and freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir well until they are thoroughly combined.
To use this natural makeup remover, apply a small amount onto a cotton pad or a washcloth and gently wipe it over your face, focusing on areas with makeup. The yogurt and lemon juice combination will effectively remove your makeup while leaving your skin refreshed and revitalized.
Remember to avoid the eye area when using lemon juice, as it can be irritating. Also, make sure to rinse your face with water after using this homemade makeup remover. Enjoy the benefits of this all-natural and rejuvenating yogurt and lemon juice makeup remover.
4. Gel-Based Makeup Removers
a. Aloe Vera Gel and Jojoba Oil Makeup Remover Recipe
Did you know that aloe vera gel is amazing for its soothing and hydrating properties, making it perfect for sensitive skin?
Meanwhile, jojoba oil is a lightweight and non-greasy oil that closely resembles the natural oils produced by our skin. Together, these ingredients work wonders in removing makeup while nourishing and moisturizing the skin.
To create this makeup remover, simply :
- Mix equal parts of aloe vera gel and jojoba oil in a clean container.
- Shake well to ensure the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
To use, apply a small amount of the mixture onto a cotton pad or a reusable makeup remover cloth, and gently swipe it over your face. The aloe vera gel will help break down the makeup, while the jojoba oil will help dissolve stubborn products like waterproof mascara. Rinse your face with warm water afterward, and enjoy the refreshed feeling of makeup-free, nourished skin.
b. Rosewater and Glycerin Makeup Remover Recipe
If you’re looking for a refreshing and natural way to remove your makeup, consider trying a DIY makeup remover using rosewater and glycerin. Rosewater has been used for centuries for its anti-inflammatory properties and its ability to balance the skin’s pH level, making it ideal for those with sensitive or acne-prone skin.
Glycerin, on the other hand, is a humectant that attracts and retains moisture, leaving your skin feeling soft and supple.
To make this gentle makeup remover:
- Combine one part rosewater with one part glycerin in a clean bottle.
- Shake well to ensure the ingredients are well mixed.
To use, apply a small amount of the mixture onto a cotton pad or reusable makeup remover cloth, and gently swipe it over your face, focusing on areas with makeup. The rosewater will help soothe and tone the skin, while the glycerin will provide hydration.
Once the makeup is removed, rinse your face with warm water and pat dry. Your skin will be left feeling clean, refreshed, and hydrated, without any harsh chemicals or artificial fragrances.
Other DIY Natural Makeup Remover Alternatives
a. Micellar Water Recipe
Micellar Water RecipeMicellar water is a popular choice for removing makeup as it gently cleanses the skin without stripping away its natural oils. Making your DIY micellar water is not only cost-effective but also allows you to customize the formula based on your skin’s needs.
To create natural micellar water:
- Start by combining one cup of distilled water with one tablespoon of witch hazel and one teaspoon of vegetable glycerin.
- Shake the mixture well to blend the ingredients thoroughly. You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for a pleasant fragrance.
- Pour the mixture into a clean, airtight container, and your homemade micellar water is ready to use.
- Simply apply it onto a cotton pad and gently swipe across the face to remove makeup and impurities.
b. Oatmeal and Honey Makeup Remover Recipe
Oatmeal and Honey Makeup Remover RecipeIf you prefer a natural makeup remover that is gentle on the skin and provides added nourishment, look no further than this oatmeal and honey recipe. Oatmeal is known for its soothing properties, while honey acts as a natural humectant, locking in moisture.
To create this DIY makeup remover:
- Start by blending half a cup of oatmeal into a fine powder.
- Add two tablespoons of honey and mix well until you achieve a paste-like consistency.
- To use, apply a small amount of the mixture onto your face, massaging it gently in circular motions.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Not only will this homemade makeup remover effectively remove your makeup, but it will also leave your skin feeling refreshed and moisturized.
Hate DIY? Products You Can Try
If you`re too busy to make your natural makeup, here are some highly recommended, affordable products you can try.