If you love the look of eyelash extensions, you probably know that they require regular maintenance to keep them looking fresh and full. Lash refill, also known as lash fill or lash infill, is a service that replaces the lashes that have fallen out due to the natural growth cycle of your own lashes. In this blog post, we will answer some of the most common questions about lash refill and give you some tips on how to make your extensions last longer.
What is lash refill and why do you need it?
Lash refill is a touch-up appointment that refreshes your extensions and makes them look brand new again. It doesn’t take as long or cost as much as the original set – it simply replaces the lashes that have fallen out over time so that your extensions always look full and fabulous.
You need lash refill because your natural lashes shed every two to four weeks, and so do your extensions. If you don’t get lash refill, your extensions will become sparse and uneven, and you will lose the desired effect. Lash refill also helps to prevent damage to your natural lashes by removing any overgrown, twisted, or weakly bonded extensions that could cause irritation or breakage.
How often do you need lash refill?
The frequency of lash refill depends on several factors, such as:
- The type and quality of your extensions
- The skill and technique of your lash artist
- Your natural lash growth cycle and shedding rate
- Your lifestyle and aftercare routine
- Your personal preference and budget
In general, it’s best to get lash refill every two to four weeks, depending on how fast your lashes grow and how well you take care of them. Some signs that you need lash refill are:
- You have less than 40% of your extensions left
- You have noticeable gaps or unevenness in your lash line
- You have lashes that are too long, twisted, or pointing in different directions
- You have lashes that are loose or hanging off your natural lashes
How long does lash refill take and how much does it cost?
The duration and cost of lash refill vary depending on the salon, the lash artist, and the amount of work needed. Typically, lash refill takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half, and costs about half the price of a full set. For example, if a full set of classic lashes costs $150, a lash refill would cost around $75.
However, some salons may charge more or less depending on the time elapsed since your last appointment, the number of lashes applied, or the type of lashes used. Some salons may also offer different levels of lash refill, such as mini, regular, or mega, depending on how full you want your lashes to be. It’s important to check with your salon and lash artist before booking your lash refill to avoid any surprises or misunderstandings.
How to prepare for lash refill?
To make the most of your lash refill appointment, you should follow these steps to prepare:
- Clean your lashes thoroughly with a gentle, oil-free cleanser and a lash brush. Remove any makeup, dirt, or oil that could interfere with the adhesive or cause infections.
- Avoid using any products that could damage your extensions, such as mascara, eyeliner, curlers, or serums. These products could make your extensions clumpy, brittle, or hard to remove.
- Arrive at your appointment with dry, clean lashes. Do not wet your lashes for at least four hours before your appointment, as moisture could affect the bonding process.
- Inform your lash artist of any changes in your health, medication, or allergies that could affect your lash service. Also, let them know if you have any concerns or requests regarding your lash style, length, or curl.
How to care for your lashes after lash refill?
To extend the life of your extensions and keep them looking beautiful, you should follow these aftercare tips after lash refill:
- Avoid getting your lashes wet for at least 24 hours after your appointment, as water could weaken the adhesive or cause your lashes to stick together.
- Avoid rubbing, pulling, or touching your lashes, as this could cause them to fall out prematurely or damage your natural lashes.
- Brush your lashes gently with a clean lash brush every morning and evening, or whenever they get tangled or out of place.
- Clean your lashes daily with a gentle, oil-free cleanser and a lash brush. Rinse well and pat dry with a soft towel. Do not use cotton pads or swabs, as they could leave lint or fibers on your lashes.
- Avoid using any products that could harm your extensions, such as oil-based or waterproof makeup, makeup remover, or skincare products. These products could dissolve the adhesive or cause buildup on your lashes.
- Avoid exposing your lashes to extreme heat, such as sauna, steam, or sunbed, as this could weaken the adhesive or curl your lashes too much.
- Avoid sleeping on your face, as this could cause your lashes to bend or break. Use a silk or satin pillowcase to reduce friction and protect your lashes.
- Book your next lash refill appointment in advance, and stick to your schedule. Do not wait too long between appointments, as this could make your lash refill more difficult or expensive.
When do you need a new set instead of lash refill?
Lash refill is a great way to maintain your extensions, but sometimes you may need a new set instead. Some reasons why you may need a new set are:
- You want to change your lash style, length, curl, or thickness
- You have less than 20% of your extensions left
- You have a lot of damaged, broken, or twisted lashes
- You have a lot of buildup, residue, or infection on your lashes
- You have an allergic reaction or sensitivity to the adhesive or lashes
- You want to take a break from extensions and let your natural lashes rest
If you need a new set, you should inform your lash artist and book a removal service before getting a new set. Do not try to remove your extensions yourself, as this could cause damage to your natural lashes or your eyes. A professional lash artist will use a special solvent to safely and gently dissolve the adhesive and remove your extensions.
Lash refill is an essential part of eyelash extension maintenance that keeps your lashes looking full, fresh, and fabulous. By following the tips and advice in this blog post, you can enjoy your extensions for longer and avoid any problems or complications. Remember to always choose a reputable salon and a qualified lash artist for your lash services, and to communicate your needs and expectations clearly. With proper care and attention, your lashes will be the envy of everyone!