Mascara is one of the most essential makeup products that can instantly enhance your eyes and make them look more awake and expressive. However, nothing ruins a perfect eye look like flaking mascara that leaves black specks on your face and under your eyes. Flaking mascara can be caused by various factors, such as the quality of the product, the way you apply it, or the condition of your lashes. In this blog post, I will share some tips and tricks on how to prevent your mascara from flaking and keep your lashes looking flawless all day long.
What Causes Mascara to Flake?
Before we get into the solutions, let’s first understand what causes mascara to flake in the first place. Here are some of the common reasons why your mascara might be flaking:
- You’re using an old or dried-out mascara. Mascara has a shelf life of about three to six months after you open it. After that, it can start to clump, dry out, and flake. To avoid this, make sure you replace your mascara regularly and don’t pump the wand in and out of the tube, as this can introduce air and bacteria into the formula.
- You’re applying too many coats of mascara or not letting them dry. While it might be tempting to layer on multiple coats of mascara to achieve more volume and length, this can actually backfire and cause your lashes to become heavy, clumpy, and flaky. To avoid this, apply only one or two coats of mascara and let each coat dry completely before applying the next one. You can also use a lash comb to separate your lashes and remove any excess product.
- Your eye area is not dry or clean. If you apply your mascara to wet or oily lashes, it won’t adhere properly and will likely flake off. To avoid this, make sure your eye area is dry and clean before applying your mascara. You can also use an eye primer to create a smooth base for your mascara and prevent it from smudging or flaking. Additionally, you can set your concealer and foundation with a powder around your eyes to absorb any excess oil or moisture.
- You’re rubbing your eyes or touching your lashes. This might seem obvious, but rubbing your eyes or touching your lashes can cause your mascara to flake off. To avoid this, try to resist the urge to rub your eyes or touch your lashes throughout the day. If you feel any irritation or itchiness in your eyes, use a gentle eye drop or a tissue to dab the area instead of rubbing it.
How to Prevent Mascara from Flaking
Now that you know what causes mascara to flake, here are some ways to prevent it and keep your lashes looking fabulous:
- Choose a good quality mascara that suits your needs. Not all mascaras are created equal, and some might work better for you than others. Depending on your lash type and preference, you might want to look for a mascara that is waterproof, smudge-proof, curling, lengthening, volumizing, or hydrating. You can also look for mascaras that contain ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, or panthenol that can nourish and condition your lashes and prevent them from drying out or breaking.
- Use a lash primer before applying your mascara. A lash primer is a product that you apply to your lashes before your mascara to enhance its performance and longevity. A lash primer can help your mascara adhere better to your lashes, prevent it from flaking or smudging, and add more volume and length to your lashes. Some lash primers also contain ingredients that can strengthen and protect your lashes from damage. To use a lash primer, apply a thin coat to your lashes and let it dry completely before applying your mascara.
- Use a lash curler to curl your lashes. A lash curler is a tool that you use to curl your lashes and make them look more lifted and open. A lash curler can help your mascara stay on better and prevent it from flaking, as it creates a curve that prevents your lashes from touching your skin or your lower lashes. To use a lash curler, gently clamp your lashes at the base and hold for a few seconds, then release and repeat along the length of your lashes. You can also heat your lash curler with a hair dryer for a few seconds to create a more lasting curl, but be careful not to burn yourself or your lashes.
- Use a setting spray to seal your makeup. A setting spray is a product that you spray on your face after applying your makeup to lock it in place and make it last longer. A setting spray can also help your mascara stay on better and prevent it from flaking, as it creates a barrier that protects your makeup from external factors such as heat, humidity, or sweat. To use a setting spray, hold it at an arm’s length from your face and spray a few times in a circular motion, making sure to cover your entire face and eyes.
Here are some frequently asked questions about mascara and flaking:
- Q: How do I remove flaking mascara from my face?
- A: If you notice any flaking mascara on your face, don’t panic. You can easily remove it with a cotton swab, a tissue, or a makeup remover wipe. Gently dab the area where the flake is and lift it off without rubbing or smearing it. You can also use a concealer or a powder to touch up any areas where the flake might have left a mark.
- Q: How do I remove waterproof mascara from my lashes?
- A: Waterproof mascara can be tricky to remove, as it is designed to resist water and oil. To remove waterproof mascara from your lashes, you will need a makeup remover that is specifically formulated for waterproof makeup, such as a micellar water, a cleansing oil, or a cleansing balm. Soak a cotton pad with the makeup remover and gently press it on your lashes for a few seconds, then swipe it downward to remove the mascara. Repeat until your lashes are clean and free of any residue.
- Q: How do I prevent my lashes from falling out or breaking?
- A: Your lashes are delicate and can fall out or break due to various reasons, such as aging, stress, hormonal changes, or improper care. To prevent your lashes from falling out or breaking, you can follow these tips:
- Be gentle with your lashes and avoid rubbing, pulling, or tugging them.
- Use a gentle makeup remover and avoid rubbing your eyes or lashes too hard.
- Use a lash serum or a lash conditioner to nourish and strengthen your lashes.
- Avoid using expired or dried-out mascara and replace your mascara every three to six months.
- Avoid using waterproof mascara every day and give your lashes a break from makeup once in a while.
- Avoid curling your lashes after applying mascara, as this can cause them to break or bend.
- Avoid sleeping with your mascara on, as this can dry out your lashes and make them brittle.
Mascara is a wonderful makeup product that can make your eyes look more beautiful and expressive, but it can also be a source of frustration if it flakes off and ruins your makeup. Flaking mascara can be caused by various factors, such as the quality of the product, the way you apply it, or the condition of your lashes. However, you can prevent your mascara from flaking and keep your lashes looking flawless all day long by following the tips and tricks that I shared in this blog post. I hope you found this blog post helpful and informative, and I hope you enjoy your mascara and your lashes!