Mascara is one of the most popular and versatile makeup products that can instantly transform your look. Whether you want to add some drama, definition, or curl to your lashes, there is a mascara for you. But with so many types, formulas, and brushes to choose from, how do you find the best one for your needs? And how do you apply it like a pro? In this blog post, we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about mascara and give you some tips and tricks to get the most out of your lash game.
What is mascara and how does it work?
Mascara is a cosmetic product that is applied to the eyelashes to enhance their appearance. It usually comes in a tube with a wand that has a brush or a comb at the end. The wand is dipped into the tube and then brushed through the lashes from the roots to the tips. The mascara coats the lashes with a pigmented formula that adds color, volume, length, and/or curl to them. Mascara can also help protect the lashes from environmental damage and make them look healthier and fuller.
How much does mascara cost?
The price of mascara can vary depending on the brand, the quality, and the features of the product. You can find mascaras that cost as little as $5 or as much as $50 or more. Generally, the more expensive mascaras tend to have better ingredients, more advanced formulas, and more innovative brushes. However, that does not mean that you cannot find good mascaras at a lower price range. Some of the factors that can affect the cost of mascara are:
- The type of mascara: There are different types of mascara that cater to different lash needs and preferences. Some of the most common types are curling, lengthening, volumizing, colored, clear, and primer mascaras. Each type has a different formula and brush that are designed to achieve a specific effect on the lashes. For example, curling mascaras have a curved brush and a lightweight formula that help lift and hold the curl of the lashes. Lengthening mascaras have a thin brush and a fiber-rich formula that help extend the lashes. Volumizing mascaras have a thick brush and a creamy formula that help add density and fullness to the lashes. Colored mascaras have a bright or dark hue that help accentuate the eye color and add some fun to the look. Clear mascaras have a transparent formula that help tame and condition the lashes. Primer mascaras have a white or tinted formula that help prep and prime the lashes for the application of another mascara.
- The quality of the ingredients: The ingredients of mascara can affect its performance, durability, and safety. Some of the ingredients that are commonly found in mascara are waxes, oils, pigments, polymers, and preservatives. Waxes help thicken and shape the lashes. Oils help moisturize and smooth the lashes. Pigments help add color and intensity to the lashes. Polymers help form a film and bind the mascara to the lashes. Preservatives help prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi in the mascara. Some of the ingredients that are often avoided in mascara are parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and fragrances. These ingredients can cause irritation, allergies, or other adverse reactions in some people. Some of the ingredients that are often preferred in mascara are natural, organic, or vegan. These ingredients are derived from plants, minerals, or synthetic sources that are not tested on animals. These ingredients can be gentler, safer, and more eco-friendly than the conventional ones.
- The features of the product: The features of the product can also influence the cost of mascara. Some of the features that can make a mascara more expensive are:
- Waterproof: Waterproof mascaras have a formula that is resistant to water, sweat, tears, and humidity. They help keep the lashes looking flawless and smudge-free in any condition. However, they can also be harder to remove and can dry out the lashes over time. Waterproof mascaras are ideal for people who have oily skin, watery eyes, or live in hot and humid climates. They are also great for special occasions, such as weddings, parties, or sports events.
- Tubing: Tubing mascaras have a formula that creates tiny tubes around each lash. They help add length and definition to the lashes without clumping or flaking. They are also easy to remove with warm water and gentle pressure. Tubing mascaras are ideal for people who have short, sparse, or straight lashes. They are also great for people who have sensitive eyes or wear contact lenses.
- Fiber: Fiber mascaras have a formula that contains tiny fibers that attach to the lashes. They help create a false-lash effect by adding extra length and volume to the lashes. They are also buildable and customizable, allowing you to create different looks with different layers. Fiber mascaras are ideal for people who want to achieve a dramatic and glamorous look. They are also great for people who have thin, weak, or brittle lashes.
How do I choose the best mascara for me?
The best mascara for you depends on your lash type, your desired effect, and your personal preference. Here are some tips to help you choose the best mascara for you:
- Know your lash type: Your lash type is determined by the length, thickness, density, and curl of your lashes. You can use a magnifying mirror to examine your lashes and identify your lash type. For example, if you have short lashes, you may want to look for a lengthening mascara that can help extend your lashes. If you have thin lashes, you may want to look for a volumizing mascara that can help add fullness to your lashes. If you have straight lashes, you may want to look for a curling mascara that can help lift and hold the curl of your lashes. If you have sparse lashes, you may want to look for a defining mascara that can help separate and coat each lash.
- Know your desired effect: Your desired effect is the look that you want to achieve with your mascara. You can use your mood, your occasion, or your inspiration to decide your desired effect. For example, if you want to create a natural and subtle look, you may want to look for a clear or brown mascara that can help enhance your lashes without drawing too much attention. If you want to create a bold and dramatic look, you may want to look for a black or colored mascara that can help make your lashes stand out and pop. If you want to create a fun and playful look, you may want to look for a glitter or metallic mascara that can help add some sparkle and shine to your lashes.
- Know your personal preference: Your personal preference is the style, the formula, and the brush that you like the most in your mascara. You can use your experience, your comfort, or your recommendation to decide your personal preference. For example, if you like a classic and simple style, you may want to look for a regular or waterproof mascara that can help give you a reliable and long-lasting result. If you like a modern and innovative style, you may want to look for a tubing or fiber mascara that can help give you a unique and impressive result. If you like a smooth and creamy formula, you may want to look for a wax-based or oil-based mascara that can help give you a soft and moisturizing feel. If you like a light and dry formula, you may want to look for a water-based or polymer-based mascara that can help give you a crisp and clean feel. If you like a thick and dense brush, you may want to look for a bristle or a silicone brush that can help give you a voluminous and dramatic effect. If you like a thin and precise brush, you may want to look for a comb or a rubber brush that can help give you a lengthening and defining effect.
How do I apply mascara like a pro?
Applying mascara like a pro can be easy and fun if you follow some simple steps and tricks. Here are some of them:
- Curl your lashes: Curling your lashes can help open up your eyes and make your lashes look longer and curlier. You can use an eyelash curler to gently squeeze your lashes at the base, the middle, and the tip for a few seconds each. You can also heat up your eyelash curler with a hair dryer for a few seconds before using it to make the curl last longer. However, be careful not to burn yourself or your lashes. You can also apply a curling mascara after curling your lashes to help lock in the curl.
- Use an eyelash primer: Using an eyelash primer can help prepare and prime your lashes for the application of mascara. It can help condition, strengthen, and protect your lashes from damage. It can also help thicken, separate, and lengthen your lashes for a better mascara result. You can apply one or two coats of primer on your top and bottom lashes and wait for at least 30 seconds before applying mascara.
- Wiggle and roll: Wiggling and rolling your mascara wand can help distribute the mascara evenly and avoid clumps and flakes. You can start by placing the wand at the base of your lashes and wiggling it back and forth as you move it up to the tip. You can also roll the wand as you wiggle it to help curl and lift your lashes. You can repeat this motion until you reach your desired effect. You can also apply mascara on the back of your lashes to help add more volume and definition.
- Use two mascaras: Using two mascaras can help you achieve the best of both worlds. You can combine a mascara with volumizing powers with another with lengthening or curling properties. You can apply the first mascara on your lashes and then apply the second one on top of it. You can also use different mascaras for your top and bottom lashes to create a more balanced and natural look. For example, you can use a volumizing mascara on your top lashes and a lengthening mascara on your bottom lashes.
- Use a lash comb: Using a lash comb can help separate and define your lashes and remove any excess mascara. You can use a metal or plastic lash comb to gently comb through your lashes from the base to the tip. You can also use a lash comb to blend your natural lashes with your false lashes if you are wearing any. You can also use a lash comb to curl your lashes by holding it at the tip of your lashes and bending it upwards.
- Remove your mascara properly: Removing your mascara properly can help prevent your lashes from breaking, falling out, or getting infected. You can use a gentle and effective makeup remover that is suitable for your skin and eye type. You can also use a cotton pad, a cotton ball, or a reusable cloth to gently wipe off your mascara from your lashes. You can also use warm water and a gentle cleanser to wash off your mascara from your lashes. You should avoid rubbing, pulling, or tugging your lashes as this can damage them. You should also remove your mascara every night before going to bed as this can help your lashes breathe and rest.
FAQs about mascara
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about mascara and their answers:
- How often should I replace my mascara? You should replace your mascara every three to six months or sooner if it smells bad, changes color, or becomes dry or clumpy. This can help prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi in your mascara that can cause eye infections or irritations. You should also replace your mascara if you have had an eye infection or a cold sore as this can contaminate your mascara and spread the infection.
- How can I make my mascara last longer? You can make your mascara last longer by storing it in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight and heat. You can also avoid pumping your mascara wand in and out of the tube as this can introduce air and bacteria into your mascara and make it dry out faster. You can also wipe off any excess mascara from your wand with a tissue or a paper towel before applying it to your lashes. You can also use a mascara primer or a clear mascara as a base coat to help your mascara adhere better and last longer.
- How can I prevent my mascara from smudging or flaking? You can prevent your mascara from smudging or flaking by using a waterproof or a tubing mascara that can resist moisture and movement. You can also use a setting spray or a powder to help seal your mascara and prevent it from transferring or fading. You can also avoid touching or rubbing your eyes as this can cause your mascara to smudge or flake. You can also blot your eyelids with a tissue or a blotting paper to remove any excess oil or sweat that can cause your mascara to smudge or flake.
- How can I remove waterproof mascara? You can remove waterproof mascara by using an oil-based or a dual-phase makeup remover that can dissolve the waterproof formula. You can also use a micellar water or a cleansing balm to help break down the waterproof mascara. You can also use a warm compress or a steamy shower to help loosen the waterproof mascara. You can also use a gentle circular motion to massage your lashes with your fingers or a cotton pad soaked in your makeup remover. You can also use a lash comb or a spoolie brush to help remove any stubborn mascara from your lashes.