If you’re like me, you probably have a drawer full of brow products that you use for different occasions. But do you know the real differences between brow pencils, powders, and gels? And how do you choose the best one for your brow goals? In this post, I’ll break down the pros and cons of each type of brow product, and give you some tips on how to use them effectively. Let’s get started!
Brow Pencils: Your Precision Tool
Brow pencils are great for creating a defined and precise shape for your brows. They are also ideal for filling in any gaps, scars, or sparse areas that you may have. Brow pencils come in two forms: manual sharpen or twist up. Manual sharpen pencils tend to be more pigmented and creamy, while twist up pencils are more precise and long-lasting.
To use a brow pencil, start by outlining the shape of your brows with light, hair-like strokes. Then, fill in any sparse areas with the same technique. You can also use a spoolie brush to blend out any harsh lines and create a more natural look. Brow pencils are versatile and can be used to create different looks, such as a slick architectural look, a faux fluffy brow, or an ombré brow. It’s all about how you apply and blend the product.
Some of the best brow pencils on the market are:
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Perfect Brow Pencil ($23): This dual-ended pencil has a creamy formula and a spoolie brush for easy application and blending. It comes in 10 shades to match any hair color.
- The Brow Gal Skinny Eyebrow Pencil ($23): This pencil has a fine tip that allows you to create realistic hair-like strokes. It also has a built-in sharpener and a spoolie brush for convenience. It comes in 6 shades that are water-resistant and smudge-proof.
- Charlotte Tilbury Brow Lift in Cara D ($30): This pencil has a beveled edge that mimics the shape of a brow brush. It allows you to create both thin and thick strokes with ease. It also has a highlighter and a clear gel to complete your brow look. It comes in 5 shades that are inspired by celebrities.
Brow Powders: Delivers a Natural Finish
Brow powders are perfect for creating a soft and natural look for your brows. They are also great for adding volume and fullness to your brows, especially if you have thin or light-colored hairs. Brow powders can be applied with a small angled brush or a sponge applicator.
To use a brow powder, dip your brush or applicator into the product and tap off any excess. Then, apply the powder along the direction of your hair growth, starting from the inner corner and moving outward. You can also use a lighter shade on the front of your brows and a darker shade on the tail for a more dimensional look. Brow powders are easy to blend and correct, and they can also be used to set your brow pencil or gel for extra staying power.
Some of the best brow powders on the market are:
- Benefit Cosmetics Foolproof Brow Powder ($24): This powder comes in a cute compact that has two shades and a sponge applicator. The shades are designed to match your natural brow color and create a gradient effect. The powder has a velvety texture and a 12-hour wear.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo ($23): This powder comes in a sleek compact that has two shades and a mirror. The shades are highly pigmented and blendable, and they can be used alone or mixed together. The powder has a smooth and buildable formula that lasts all day.
- NYX Professional Makeup Eyebrow Cake Powder ($6): This powder comes in a budget-friendly kit that has two shades, a wax, a brush, and a spoolie. The shades are customizable and long-lasting, and the wax helps to tame and shape your brows. The powder has a matte finish and a natural look.
Brow Gels: Creates Fullness
Brow gels are amazing for adding texture and hold to your brows. They are also ideal for taming unruly hairs and keeping them in place all day. Brow gels can be clear or tinted, and they can also contain fibers or thickening agents to bulk up your brows.
To use a brow gel, brush the product through your brows with the applicator, starting from the inner corner and moving outward. You can also use the tip of the applicator to fill in any gaps or sparse areas. Brow gels can be used alone or over your brow pencil or powder for extra definition and dimension.
Some of the best brow gels on the market are:
- Glossier Boy Brow ($16): This cult-favorite gel has a creamy wax formula that adds color, thickness, and shape to your brows. It comes in 5 shades, including a clear option, and it has a tiny brush that makes application easy and precise.
- Benefit Cosmetics Gimme Brow+ Volumizing Eyebrow Gel ($24): This award-winning gel has a water-resistant formula that contains tiny microfibers that adhere to your brow hairs and skin. It comes in 10 shades that are natural-looking and buildable, and it has a tapered brush that delivers the perfect amount of product.
- Maybelline New York Brow Fast Sculpt Gel Brow Mascara ($8): This affordable gel has a tinted formula that adds color and fullness to your brows. It comes in 7 shades that are smudge-proof and fade-resistant, and it has a sculpting tip that allows you to shape and style your brows in a flash.
Q: How do I choose the right shade for my brow product?
A: The general rule is to choose a shade that is one or two shades lighter than your natural hair color if you have dark hair, or one or two shades darker than your natural hair color if you have light hair. You can also use a shade that matches the undertone of your hair, such as warm, cool, or neutral.
Q: How do I find the best shape for my brows?
A: The best shape for your brows depends on your face shape, your eye shape, and your personal preference. However, a good guideline is to follow the natural shape of your brows and enhance what you already have. You can also use a pencil or a brush to measure the ideal start, arch, and end of your brows. To do this, align the pencil or brush with the side of your nose and the inner corner of your eye for the start, the side of your nose and the highest point of your pupil for the arch, and the side of your nose and the outer corner of your eye for the end.
Q: How often should I groom my brows?
A: The frequency of grooming your brows depends on how fast your hair grows and how much maintenance you need. However, a good rule of thumb is to groom your brows every two to four weeks, depending on your preference. You can use tweezers, wax, or thread to remove any stray hairs that are outside your desired shape. You can also use scissors to trim any long or unruly hairs that are within your shape.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post and learned something new about brow products. Remember, there is no right or wrong way to do your brows, as long as you feel confident and happy with the result. Have fun experimenting with different products and techniques, and don’t be afraid to express your personality through your brows. Until next time, stay beautiful! 😊