Exfoliating is one of the most important steps in any skincare routine. It helps to remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, smooth wrinkles, brighten and even out skin tone, and reveal a more radiant and youthful complexion. However, not all exfoliators are created equal. Some can be too harsh, irritating, or ineffective for your skin type and concerns. That’s why you need to choose the right exfoliator for your skin, and Paula’s Choice has you covered.
Paula’s Choice is a skincare brand that offers expert advice and effective products for all skin types and concerns. Their exfoliators are formulated with gentle yet powerful ingredients, such as salicylic acid (BHA), glycolic acid (AHA), and enzymes, that target specific skin issues and deliver visible results. Whether you have oily, dry, sensitive, or combination skin, Paula’s Choice has an exfoliator that suits your needs and preferences.
In this blog post, we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about exfoliating with Paula’s Choice, and help you find the best exfoliator for your skin.
What is BHA and AHA?
BHA and AHA are two types of chemical exfoliants that work by dissolving the bonds that hold dead skin cells together, allowing them to shed more easily. BHA stands for beta hydroxy acid, and AHA stands for alpha hydroxy acid. They have different properties and benefits for the skin.
BHA, also known as salicylic acid, is oil-soluble and can penetrate deep into the pores, where it can dissolve excess oil, dirt, and bacteria that cause acne and blackheads. BHA also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, making it ideal for oily, blemish-prone, and sensitive skin. BHA can also help reduce redness, swelling, and inflammation associated with rosacea and psoriasis.
AHA, such as glycolic acid, lactic acid, and mandelic acid, is water-soluble and works on the surface of the skin, where it can loosen and remove dead skin cells, improve skin texture, and stimulate collagen production. AHA can also help fade dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and sun damage, making it ideal for dry, dull, and aging skin. AHA can also help improve skin hydration and elasticity.
How often should I exfoliate with Paula’s Choice?
The frequency of exfoliation depends on your skin type, condition, and tolerance. Generally, you can start by exfoliating once or twice a week, and gradually increase the frequency as your skin adjusts. However, you should always listen to your skin and avoid over-exfoliating, which can cause irritation, dryness, and sensitivity. If you experience any signs of over-exfoliation, such as redness, peeling, burning, or tightness, you should reduce the frequency or stop exfoliating until your skin recovers.
Paula’s Choice exfoliators are designed to be gentle enough for daily use, but you can also use them less often if you prefer. You can also alternate between different types of exfoliators, such as BHA and AHA, to target different skin concerns and achieve optimal results. For example, you can use a BHA exfoliator in the morning to unclog pores and control oil, and an AHA exfoliator at night to brighten and smooth the skin.
How do I use Paula’s Choice exfoliators?
Paula’s Choice exfoliators are easy to use and incorporate into your skincare routine. You can apply them after cleansing and toning, and before moisturizing and applying sunscreen. You can use a cotton pad or your fingers to apply a thin layer of the exfoliator over your entire face, avoiding the eye area. You do not need to rinse off the exfoliator, as it will continue to work on your skin throughout the day or night. You can also apply the exfoliator on other areas of your body, such as your neck, chest, back, arms, and legs, where you may have concerns such as acne, keratosis pilaris, or ingrown hairs.
Some tips to get the most out of your exfoliation are:
- Always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen rated SPF 30 or higher during the day, as exfoliating can make your skin more sensitive to the sun and increase the risk of sun damage.
- Always patch test a new exfoliator on a small area of your skin before using it on your entire face, to make sure you do not have any adverse reactions.
- Always start with a lower concentration of exfoliant and work your way up, as your skin becomes more tolerant and accustomed to the product.
- Always follow the instructions and recommendations on the product label, and consult with a dermatologist or a Paula’s Choice skincare expert if you have any questions or concerns.
Which Paula’s Choice exfoliator is best for me?
Paula’s Choice offers a wide range of exfoliators for different skin types and concerns. Here are some of their best-selling and award-winning exfoliators, and who they are best for:
- Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant: This is the #1 product worldwide and a favorite among many skincare enthusiasts. It is a gentle yet effective leave-on exfoliant that contains 2% salicylic acid, which can clear and minimize enlarged pores, reduce blackheads and breakouts, smooth wrinkles, and brighten and even out skin tone. It has a fluid, lightweight texture that absorbs quickly and is suitable for all skin types, especially oily, combination, and blemish-prone skin. It can also be used to treat calluses on feet, elbows, and knees.
- Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment 2% BHA: This is a daily exfoliant that contains 2% salicylic acid, as well as antioxidants and peptides, that can refine and tighten enlarged pores, smooth wrinkles, and improve skin firmness and elasticity. It has a water-light texture that feels weightless on the skin and is suitable for normal, oily, and combination skin, especially those with aging concerns.
- Clear Extra Strength Exfoliating Solution 2% BHA: This is an extra-strength exfoliant that contains 2% salicylic acid, as well as green tea extract, which can fight stubborn acne, blackheads, and whiteheads, reduce redness and inflammation, and prevent future breakouts. It has a toner-like texture that is easy to apply and is suitable for oily and blemish-prone skin, especially those with moderate to severe acne.
- Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant: This is a gel exfoliant that contains 8% glycolic acid, which can remove dead skin cells, improve skin texture, and stimulate collagen production. It also contains chamomile and green tea extracts, which can soothe and calm the skin. It has a gel-like texture that glides smoothly on the skin and is suitable for normal, dry, and combination skin, especially those with dullness, uneven skin tone, and signs of aging.
- Resist Advanced Smoothing Treatment 10% AHA: This is an advanced exfoliant that contains 10% AHA, which is a blend of glycolic, lactic, malic, and tartaric acids, that can exfoliate multiple layers of the skin, improve skin texture, and fade dark spots and sun damage. It also contains 0.5% BHA, which can unclog pores and reduce blackheads, as well as antioxidants and peptides, which can boost skin’s defenses and repair. It has a serum-like texture that feels silky and hydrating on the skin and is suitable for normal, dry, and combination skin, especially those with aging and sun-damaged skin.
- Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment 10% AHA: This is a weekly exfoliant that contains 10% glycolic acid, which can dramatically improve skin’s appearance and texture, reduce wrinkles and fine lines, and reveal a more radiant and youthful complexion. It also contains antioxidants and soothing ingredients, such as licorice root extract and allantoin, which can protect and calm the skin. It has a liquid texture that is easy to apply and is suitable for all skin types, especially those with aging and sun-damaged skin.
Where can I buy Paula’s Choice exfoliators?
You can buy Paula’s Choice exfoliators from their official website, where you can also find more information about their products, ingredients, and reviews. You can also enjoy free shipping, free samples, and discounts when you shop online. You can also contact their skincare experts for personalized advice and recommendations.
Paula’s Choice exfoliators are also available in some physical stores and online retailers, such as Sephora and Amazon. However, you should always check the authenticity and expiry date of the products before buying them from third-party sellers.
Exfoliating with Paula’s Choice can help you achieve smoother, clearer, and more radiant skin, as well as address various skin concerns, such as acne, pores, wrinkles, and pigmentation. Paula’s Choice exfoliators are formulated with effective and gentle ingredients, such as BHA and AHA, that can suit different skin types and preferences. You can choose from a variety of exfoliators, such as liquids, gels, serums, and toners, that can be used daily or weekly, depending on your skincare routine. Here are some additional tips and information to help you exfoliate with Paula’s Choice:
- You can also use a physical exfoliant, such as a scrub, a brush, or a washcloth, to gently buff away dead skin cells and enhance the effects of your chemical exfoliant. However, you should be careful not to overdo it, as physical exfoliation can cause micro-tears and irritation on the skin. You should also avoid using physical exfoliants that contain harsh or abrasive ingredients, such as walnut shells, apricot kernels, or microbeads, as they can damage the skin barrier and cause inflammation. Paula’s Choice offers a gentle and effective physical exfoliant, called Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant + 2% BHA Body Scrub, which contains 2% salicylic acid and soft, biodegradable beads, that can exfoliate both the face and the body without causing harm.
- You can also use a mask, such as a clay, charcoal, or peel-off mask, to deep-cleanse and detoxify your pores and enhance the effects of your exfoliant. However, you should be careful not to use a mask that is too drying, irritating, or occlusive for your skin type and condition. You should also avoid using a mask that contains ingredients that can interfere with your exfoliant, such as alcohol, menthol, or fragrance, as they can cause sensitivity and inflammation. Paula’s Choice offers a range of masks that are suitable for different skin types and concerns, such as Skin Balancing Oil-Absorbing Mask, which contains kaolin clay and willow bark extract, that can absorb excess oil and unclog pores, Radiance Renewal Mask, which contains niacinamide and arbutin, that can brighten and hydrate the skin, and Pore Clarifying Charcoal Gel Mask, which contains charcoal and bisabolol, that can purify and soothe the skin.
- You can also use a serum, such as a vitamin C, retinol, or hyaluronic acid serum, to boost the effects of your exfoliant and target specific skin issues, such as dullness, wrinkles, or dehydration. However, you should be careful not to use a serum that is too potent, unstable, or incompatible with your exfoliant. You should also avoid using a serum that contains ingredients that can cancel out or reduce the effectiveness of your exfoliant, such as baking soda, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar, as they can alter the pH level and disrupt the exfoliation process. Paula’s Choice offers a variety of serums that are formulated with effective and stable ingredients, such as C15 Super Booster, which contains 15% vitamin C and ferulic acid, that can brighten and protect the skin, Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment, which contains 1% retinol and peptides, that can smooth and firm the skin, and Hyaluronic Acid Booster, which contains hyaluronic acid and ceramides, that can plump and moisturize the skin.
I hope this blog post has helped you learn more about exfoliating with Paula’s Choice and how to choose and use the best exfoliator for your skin. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below or contact me via email. Thank you for reading and happy exfoliating!